Legal Services for Data Security
Breach preparation and response
Because it is ‘when’, not ‘ if ’
Why consult an attorney about your data and technology security posture if you have never had a data breach, especially if you own a small business? If your web server, business or customer data were breached tonight, would you feel confident that you know exactly what questions to ask, what to do, and who to call?
Assessing and addressing your risks ahead of time, and having a ready plan in place, can mean the difference between a minimal impact with smooth business continuity, and being forced out of business entirely, along with lawsuits and fines, even for the smallest businesses.
We can help you prepare by
- Reviewing corporate documents to assess risk exposure and liability shifting
- Creating, revising, and negotiating vendor and employment agreements
- Auditing, developing, and helping implement privacy policies and use policies
- Pre-preparing categorized breach notifications
- Assessing, advising on, and assisting in developing plans for business continuity and minimizing customer service interruption
- Advising on limiting liability exposure and addressing indemnification for business risks with technology and the aggregation of consumer data
- Advising on, developing, and assisting in implementing best practices to protect company and customer data
- Assessing, advising on, and assisting with mitigating and remediating technology risks by analyzing computer security due diligence and internal information governance requirements
- Assessing and advising on data monitoring as integral to workflow
- Developing and helping to implement internal and public-facing policies for data access, including responding to government access requests
- Assessing and advising on international data transfers under non-U.S. laws
- Advising on preventing and detecting data breach and fraud
We can help you respond to a breach
If contacting the firm about a data breach, be prepared to discuss when the breach occurred and when it was discovered, how it was discovered, whose and what data are at issue, whether any personal information has been compromised, whether third-party data vendors or handlers are involved or affected, and what actions have been taken since breach discovery.
For data breach preparation & response legal services for small and midsize businesses in the Puget Sound region, contact us today.
PO Box 688 Burlington WA 98233
(360) 299 1121